Organisers: P Constantin (Chicago), JD Gibbon (Imperial College, London), JK Hale (Georgia Tech), C Sparrow (Cambridge). ASI Organiser: P Glendinning (Cambridge)
23 - 27 October 1995
Workshop Organisers: D Rand, P Fife, P Glendinning, J Hale.
The aim of the workshop is to bring together experts in the following areas where the dynamics of patterns is important and interesting: Spatially extended systems; Phase Transitions; Lattice Dynamics; Phenomenology; Diffusivity and Dynamics; Synchronization.
The experts will give talks that are sufficiently technical to stimulate an interesting exchange of ideas and techniques between various specialities, but which are of an expository nature. There will be time free for more informal discussion and collaboration.
- 10.00 P. Bates:- Interfacial dynamics for generalized phase-field systems
- 11.30 C. Beck:- Coupled map lattices simulating quantum field theories
- 14.00 J. Carr:- Coarsening Dynamics
- 15.00 C. Elliott:- Numerical solution of interface motion via phase field equations
- 10.00 Y. Pomeau:- Crumpled paper
- 11.30 W. Pesch:- Complex spatio-temporal patterns in Rayleigh-Benard convection
- 14.00 P. Coullet:- Bifurcation of excitable waves and their collisions properties
- 15.00 W. van Saarloos:- Streamers in dielectric breakdown as a pattern formation problem
- 16.30 G. Fusco:- Nucleation in the context of the Cahn-Hilliard equation: existence of multi-spike stationary solutions
- 10.00 E. Meron:- Front Transitions, Spiral-Vortex Nucleation and complex patterns
- 11.30 J. Ockendon:- Phenomonology of vortices and dislocations
- 10.00 J. Hale:- Synchronization through Diffusivity
- 11.30 A. Carvalho:- Localized Large Diffusion in Reaction Diffusion Problems
- 14.00 W. Shen:- Travelling waves in Lattice Dynamical Systems
- 15.00 M. Herrero:- Singularity formation in a chemotaxis model
- 10.00 H. Chate:- Non-trivial collective behavior in extensively chaotic dynamical systems
- 11.30 E. Presutti:- Metastable phenomena in Ising systems with Kac potentials
- 14.00 A. Newell:- Defects are self-dual solutions of the regularized Cross-Newell phase diffusion equation
- 15.00 J. Mallet-Paret:- Pattern Formation, Spatial Chaos, and Travelling Waves in Lattice Differential Equations
Workshop location, costs, registration:
The workshop will take place in the Newton Institute's purpose-designed building, in a pleasant area in the west of Cambridge, about one mile from the centre of the City. The Newton Institute can provide assistance with finding local accommodation - the cost of which is likely to be 25 - 40 pounds per day including breakfast. There will be a 20 pounds registration fee that will include the cost of lunch. There may be some financial help available to support UK participants.